11.3.17

'IT'S NOT ABOUT PRETTY' A BOOK ABOUT RADICAL SKATER GIRLS

In case you don't who she is already, let me introduce you to Cindy Whitehead. She became one of the top ranked professional female pro vert skateboarder back in the 70s. Step by step, she slowly made her place in this male-dominated sport. Being fierce and confident, nothing could have stopped her. To this day she's the only female to have been featured in the centerfold plus a two-page article in a skateboard magazine. This is huge y'all!

Over the last 25 years, she worked as a fashion stylist for various sports companies and athletes.
In 2010 she created her own brand named ''Girl is NOT a 4 letter word''. She signed with the largest company in professional skateboarding and designed a skateboard specifically for the female market. Not to mention that she was introduced into the Skateboarding Hall of Fame on May 13, 2016, with an introduction by legendary rock'n roll icon, Joan Jett.

'It's not about pretty' a book about radical skater girls

(Photo by Ian Logan)


''Cindy's goal is to give to the women in action sports the same opportunities and recognition as their male counterparts.'' In order to push this idea even further, she released the first comprehensive hardcover book on girls skateboarding.
''It's not about pretty'' showcase more than 60 skater girls, going from pool riding, park, street, downhill, vert and cruising, to pro female skateboarders and soul skaters! These girls fall hard, and they get back up. They're pushing boundaries and work their ass off. They're showing the world that it has nothing to do with your age, your gender or having a pretty face, it's all about following a true passion. That little light inside you. It's about using that drive and dedication to brings down stereotypes. And for all the girls featured in this book, I sure this is a huge accomplishment and they must be so proud of themselves.
To be honest, I think I've been secretly dreaming of reading a book like this for years and was really hoping someone would release one eventually. To me, this is SO inspiring!
'It's not about pretty' a book about radical skater girls

'It's not about pretty' a book about radical skater girls

'It's not about pretty' a book about radical skater girls

'It's not about pretty' a book about radical skater girls

'It's not about pretty' a book about radical skater girls

'It's not about pretty' a book about radical skater girls



'It's not about pretty' a book about radical skater girls
(All photos by Ian Logan)


Powerful imagery inside the book is signed by talented and well-known photographer Ian Logan. The graphic designs were all created by Elise Crigar, a rad skater girl and also a proud GN4LW ambassador.

I encourage you to visit Cindy's blog Girl is NOT a 4 letter word for all the latest news regarding women skateboarding.

Make a difference and buy your own copy of ''It's not about pretty'' HERE. A portion of the proceeds gives back to a non-profits organization that create exposure and opportunities for girls in skateboarding.

I personally started skateboarding only one year ago and can confirm that seeing other women practicing this sport motivated me so much. It made me realize that girls are able to do rad stuff, just as much as boys do. Seeing other girls skating made me believe that I can do the same. It gives me strength and determination to work hard and accomplish my own skateboarding journey. For the first time of my life, I can say that I fell in love with a sport! Thank you skateboarding and thank you, Cindy, for your hard work and dedication. You're an inspiration for all of us 💕

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all my comments so feel free to let me know what you think! I'll try my best to answer everyone <3 xox